Sending a wedding card to the bride and groom is a thoughtful way to send them good wishes for the future. However, it can be difficult to come up with a truly meaningful message on the spot.
If you want your gesture to be well received, you might also consider sending them a flower arrangement with the note. They will be sure to love and appreciate any gift that you send them from Venus ET Fleur®. Any of our white roses stand apart with their beauty and would sure to stun them.
If you are considering sending wedding flowers with your note, we would recommend a piece from our Classic Collection personalized to be white or match the wedding theme.
We have gathered some thoughtful messages that you can send in a note to the bride and groom. They will be sure to love seeing your support and encouragement as they start a new chapter in their lives. But first, you should be aware of the proper wedding card etiquette.
Wedding Card Etiquette
When to Send
Wedding cards are a nice way to send wedding wishes to the newly married couple. Many families have their own customs around giving cards. However, if you want to follow traditional etiquette, there are a few things you need to be aware of.
You will either want to have the card with you at the wedding reception and leave it in its designated place or mail it directly to the couple. If you decide to mail your card, you will want to do it between receiving the wedding invite and a week after the wedding has happened.
Waiting too long to send the card makes it seem to the couple like you were not intending to send them one. That being said, good wishes for a wedding are welcome and often well-received, whenever you can send it out.
The Card’s Design
Wedding cards come in many different styles, sizes, and colors. They can be as elaborate or as simple as you want them to be. What you choose is up to you and what you think the couple would appreciate receiving.
You might make your own cards, attach your message to the gift you leave at the reception, or even include a small note with the flower arrangement you sent the couple. You do not need to send more than one note, although you can if you prefer.
Many weddings will also have a wedding card box or a table for gifts at the reception. Everyone does their wedding differently, but there will likely be a convenient place for you to leave the card when you arrive.
Can You Say “Congrats” Now?
In the past, writing “congratulations” in any form in a wedding card was considered rude. Doing so was seen as telling the married woman, “congratulations on actually scoring a man”— and you can see why that would be frowned upon.
However, that was in the past. Many families and couples now do not read a simple “congratulations” in that way anymore. If you think the couple is more traditional, you may still want to avoid using the phrase. Instead, you can write “best wishes” or “I’m happy for you!”. There are no secret negative meanings in those phrases.
What Message to Write in the Card
If you want to send the couple well wishes, you will want to be sure that the message is sweet and has the couple in mind.
Think about who they are to you-— is it your best friend getting married? Or your son or daughter? Your message should be personal to them.
Below, we have included various messages that fit different circumstances. Let’s get started:
Formal Wedding Messages
If the wedding is a very formal event, then you might want to include a message to match. This does not mean that you can’t take these phrases and make them more personal to you and the couple.
- May the years you spend together be filled with happiness and love.
- May the love you share on your wedding day grow stronger as you grow old together.
- May the years ahead be full of joy and laughter.
- May your wedding day be the start of a long and happy life together.
- Wishing you joy, love, and peace on your wedding day.
Casual Wedding Messages
Of course, you should always feel like you can be yourself when writing a note to the bride and groom! Do not be afraid to send them a more casual message. As long as your message is wishing them the best in their new life together, they will be certain to appreciate it.
- Best wishes! Congratulations on your wedding!
- I am so happy for you!
- Sending you lots of love today!
- Here is a little something nice to enjoy while you start your life together! (Use when sent with a gift.)
- Wishing you the best on your wedding day and always!
Wedding Messages for Your Son or Daughter (or In-Laws)
It is a huge event when your child gets married. If you are the parent of the bride or groom, you will want to make the message you send them as personal as possible. You can include happy memories from their childhood or even include some endearing photos.
As the parent, you can also be certain that your child would love to see a thoughtful gift from you included with the note. We would recommend some of our Eternity® Roses to represent the eternity of happiness and love that you wish for the newly married couple.
This would be a kind gesture that your child is sure to cherish and it will make them feel even more special on their big day to see that you thought of them.
- I am so happy to welcome a new son/daughter into our family.
- Today we are adding another member to our family. and I could not be happier. Sending you best wishes on your wedding day!
- We are so happy that you have found someone amazing to share your life with. Sending best wishes to you both.
- I am not losing a son/daughter— we are gaining a son/daughter. Welcome to our family!
- Wishing you lots of love and happiness to you both on this exciting day.
Wedding Messages for a Parent
When writing a wedding message for your parent or step-parent, be sure to write what feels natural. You will want to let them know that you are happy for them and want their future to be special.
- Mom/Dad, I am so happy you found someone special to share your life with! We are all excited to welcome them to our family.
- Mom/Dad, I love you! We are excited to welcome your spouse to our happy family.
- Mom/Dad, this is the advice that you once told me. I think it will help make your marriage even more special: (add their advice.)
Wedding Messages for Your Friend
Think about your relationship with your friend. This will let you know what kind of message you can write. If you are more acquaintances, then a formal or a classic message is best. But for a best friend you have been partners-in-crime with for years— you will want to include a personal or funny message including some memories that you have together.
- We have had so many laughs together. I hope you two laugh as much as we did!
- Here is to love and friendship! Sending you best wishes on your wedding day.
- Congratulations to my best friend and his/her new husband/wife! I think you will make each other very happy.
- We have celebrated so many events together, but this is the best one yet.
- I am so excited to celebrate this day with you both.
Wedding Messages for a Coworker
Using casual language with a coworker you know well is fine, but you might want to be more formal with them, depending on your relationship.
- Thank you for inviting me to share this wonderful experience with you and your family.
- Wishing you success and happiness in your marriage.
- What a wonderful day to celebrate with you and your spouse. All the best to you in your marriage.
Venus ET Fleur flowers are elegant and beautiful. Any couple would love to receive an arrangement on their big day. Including a special and thoughtful message will make the gift even more meaningful to them.
Our Maison flowers are sophisticated and can match with many wedding themes. Sending the happy couple a set would make them feel truly special and supported.
There are many different messages to send the newly married couple, but as long as you write something heartfelt, there is no way to be wrong. They will be sure to love your message and gift.